Veganfest in Belgium

A week ago, August 21st 2016 in Ghent was the day the Veganfest was held.
It's an annual festival where people try vegan food and get informed about the benefits etc of veganism.
Now, I'm not vegan but I do admire people who are. I try to eat meat only once a week and it's either chicken or salmon. Obviously that's not always possible because I live in a very 'meatbased' family.





I took the train to Ghent and off I went!


The Veganfest was held in the Artcube in Ghent, which is about 20 minutes away by bus and car from the trainstation. I went by car with my friend and went back home with the bus.
First impression, everyone was dressed somewhat "hipster" or "alternative" and it was pretty fun to see people dressed in less casual clothes. There were suprisingly a lot of children, which surprised me a bit. People were also very friend. A girl from my school lost her phone and in the end someone picked it up to give it to her. That would never happen at other festivals or a convention.





 My friends and I decided to try the Vegan donuts from this booth. One of my friends, who was there before me said that there was another booth but they were already sold out, so that was too bad.
I had the sugarcoated donut and there was an apricot filling inside. Overall, it was okay but it didn't taste like a donut.. It was very dry and kind of hard to bit in.




dutchweedburger.com
The second most popular foodtruck was this one. The Weedburger joint. They only sold one thing, the weedburger and it cost 7 euros. Pretty expensive but the other burgers were 6 euros, so it wasn't that much of a difference.
I have to admit that the first bite was a bit weird but the aftertaste of that bite was amazing! Every single mouthful after the previous one just got better! I shared with my friends and they couldn't get enough of it either! I'm definitely going to attempt to make my own Seaweed burger!


They held speeches, presentations and so on here but I found them rather.. pretentious. That's just my opinion. Some of my friends found them enlighting and interesting!





At the end of the day, I had spent 12 euros. The Burger, the donut and the soft chocolate waffle. I brought water from home because I kind of expected the food to be a bit expensive.
We, my friends and I, didn't to much but eat and sit so that kind of rounds it up.

I'm not sure whether I'd go again because I found the event a bit boring as the only thing people were doing was waiting in line and eating.. The music wasn't my taste (indie but boring indie music imo) and it was too easy to see everything in less than 30 minutes.

The food was great though and I learned something about the Vegan community in Belgium!

Caroline Amour

No comments:

Post a Comment